• The chart that defines our warming world: This global “Climate Stripes” graphic is the work of Prof Ed Hawkins at Reading University who has sought clearer ways to communicate the issues around climate change – and to start conversations that might lead to solutions.
• Continental Europe braced for ‘potentially dangerous’ heatwave: Meteorologists in Germany said there was a 50% chance of temperatures hitting 40C, possibly breaking the national record of 40.3C set in Bavaria in 2015.
AccuWeather said cities from Madrid to Berlin, including Paris, Brussels and Frankfurt, were likely to experience a “multi-day heatwave” in the first half of the week, with similar temperatures of 32C or above expected further east later in Bucharest, Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade and Sofia.
• “Wir streiken, bis Politiker endlich ihren Job machen”: In Deutschland fand neben den zahlreichen dezentralen Demonstrationen von Fridays for Future in Aachen eine zentrale, internationale Kundgebung mit 35.000 Teilnehmern statt.
• Das Fliegen von der Steuerbefreiung befreien: In Europa eine Kerosinsteuer einzuführen ist überfällig, bekräftigte eine hochkarätige Konferenz, die gestern in Den Haag zu Ende ging. Es geht aber gar nicht darum, eine neue Steuer einzuführen – sondern nur um die Aufhebung der jahrzehntelangen Steuerbefreiung des Flugverkehrs.
• Environment reporters facing harassment and murder, study finds: Thirteen journalists who were investigating damage to the environment have been killed in recent years and many more are suffering violence, harassment, intimidation and lawsuits, according to a study.
• Sydney to Declare a Climate Emergency in Face of National Inaction: Sydney, the largest city in a country acutely vulnerable to global warming, moved on Friday to declare a climate emergency, joining hundreds of local governments around the world in calling for urgent steps to combat the crisis, some in the face of inaction by national politicians.
• Why Chennai, India’s Sixth Biggest City, Has Run Out of Water: The city had gone nearly 200 days without rain, and after a weak 2018 North East monsoon season that runs from October-December, the four reservoirs that serve the city began to wither away earlier this year. Add in the intense heat that gripped India in May (though the worst of it was to the north of Chennai) and the withering process went into overdrive as water evaporated into the cloudless sky.
Musikvideos: Brittany Howard, Red Hearse, Deutsche Laichen, Dälek, Yeule, Grün Wasser, Twin Peaks, Ceremony, Blis, Molly Sarlé, Cherry Pickles, Little Scream, Shannon Lay, Sleater-Kinney, Jade Imagine, The Sonder Bombs, Speelburg, The Struts